Week of Oct. 16-20, 2017
This week we will focus on ways to improve turnout. I think we will also have more time in our classes to continue learning and reviewing for the Unit Test, next Wednesday, Oct. 25. During the “extra” time in our classes, we will try to make great strides in our choreography for the dance concert. Continue to review the combinations and new information that you learned last week so that we can add on to your dance this week. You may think that we have plenty of time before the concert BUT that is not true. We will also need some time to try on the costumes which takes away from the time we are able to work on the dance piece and remember that we are out the entire week of Thanksgiving before we come back and go into our dance concert.
Dates to remember: Unit Test, Oct. 25, Wednesday
November 7, Student Holiday
Thanksgiving Week: November 20-27
Dance Concert: Dec. 1 and 2, 7:30, both nights are required, mandatory warm up on December 2.
Have a great week!
October 9-13, 2017
Ready for this week?
- We have Homeroom on Monday to prepare for the testing on Wednesday.
2. Wednesday is testing day for everyone except for the Seniors. Testing will occur the entire morning from 8:30 until 12:00. When the bell rings at 12:00, go to your third period class, then fourth period, followed by fifth period.
3. Thursday is an early release day. This means you will only attend first and second periods and leave campus at 11:30. NO fifth period.
- Great job ComPAny2018 for your performance this past weekend!
- Dancewear Order Store is open for one more week, if you need anything for the dance concert. This is your last chance to order!
- Because I could not be here last Wednesday due to being sick, we were fortunate to get our modern masterclass rescheduled to this Wednesday, Oct. 11 from 4:30-6:30.
- We will start out Max Chambers Scholarship again this year. Payment is this week if you decide to participate and being able to wear your exceptional items will be next week on Monday or Wednesday, only! The information is posted under pages on this blog as well as in the studio. Read the information carefully!
- Please review or get with anyone and learn the information from last week. We did start the concert pieces. We don’t have much time to learn these pieces, so we you say, “I wasn’t here”, you are admitting that you have not done your homework and take into strive these situations when you get your grades or are pulled out of a section because you are unprepared. Be proactive, be responsible, this is your future!
Have a great day!
Week of October 2-6, 2017
Happy Sunday! I hope your break was refreshing.
We will jump (saute, if I could add an accent on the last e, I would) right back into our curriculum with our terminology, kinesiology and now we add the dance concert! I would like to start teaching your concert pieces this week. For those of you that have been here, it is never too early to start as something always comes up unexpectantly and there is always a rush to the finish!
ComPAny performs this weekend at the Cobb Civic Center, Jennie T. Anderson Theatre
Early release is next Thursday on Oct. 12. This means you will leave school at 11:30.
Dancewear deductions begin in full mode this week. Check Ms. Edward’s blog for the costume requirements for the dance concert. I have also placed the ballet items below.
Ballet Concert Dancewear required items: (Undergarments are required)
All males: black ballet shoes with black jazz pants and black tights. (Have both)
All females: pink ballet shoes with pink tights.
HAVE A GREAT REST OF YOUR DAY!!
Week of September 18-22, 2017
Happy Sunday! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
As we continue into our new unit, we will discuss the Achilles tendon and hip flexors. (For the gold group that I did not see last week, due to the Hurricane, I will catch you up on the foot and calf information.)
Gold group will have a guest teacher this Friday. The class will be modern.
“Arabian Nights” this weekend at 7:30, Friday -Sunday!
Good luck to those students that are doing their college prescreens! One more step to success.
Week of Sept. 11-15, 2017
I hope your Sunday is going well! We will begin our new unit this week. The unit will continue with terminology but we will add dance physiology beginning with the foot and the achilles tendon. The information will be provided by Lisa Howell of http://www.theballetblog.com. She is the dance physiologist that I trained with this past summer from Australia.
Reminders for the week:
- Silver will have Mr. Green on Friday.
- Vocal Concert is Friday at 7:30 in the theatre.
- Macy’s auditions are coming up for Juniors and Seniors. (See posted flyers for more information.)
- University of Michigan will be at Pebblebrook on Monday, September 25 at 2:00, again check the posted flyer for more information.
- The Visual and Performing Arts Fair will be at the Cobb Energy Center at 7:00. Make plans to go! This is where you get information from colleges that will help you decide about your future. You will learn about new programs and opportunities beyond high school!
Have a great rest of your day!
(Stay safe and dry for the next couple of days.)
Week of September 5-8, 2017
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
I hope you are having a great weekend. I am sending this blog out now because my time will be limited this evening and tomorrow. Dance IV is having their National High School Dance Festival piece choreographed on them during this break! We are delighted that one of our alums, Joshua Carter, will be setting the piece. We hope to be able to present the piece at Point Park University in February if it gets through the judges. Joshua attended the University of Arizona, one of the top 10 Dance College Programs, as a dance major and went into the Giordano Company in Chicago.
- Unit Test is this Wednesday, September 6. The group that I have will be going to the computer lab. There are 20 multiple choice questions. After we finish the test, we will return to dance class and dance.
2. The gold group will have Mr. Davis for modern this Friday.
3. Continue to get your dancewear items that you didn’t order. Once those items arrive, all full deductions will occur.
4. Skills grades are entered, but will be changed according to the choices you make in class. These skills are probably the highest you will receive this year because now the challenge is to start applying your corrections, be prepared for class, and demonstrate progress in your classes.
I will keep you posted for other updates as they arise.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
This week we will continue with our terminology and work toward our Unit Test, next Wednesday, Sept. 6! It will be multiple choice and will not take the entire class period, so be prepared to dance.
Juniors will have a meeting during 4th period on Monday when they call you to the theatre.
This Wednesday, we will have early release which means you will leave school at 11:30. The P.A. buses will also leave at this time and there will NOT be 5th period. (For the Silver group that I teach on Wednesday, you will not need your dancewear, but be ready to move in whatever you are wearing!)
Open House will be on Thursday!
Silver group will have Mr. Davis on Friday for modern dance.
Have a great rest of your day!